Zucchini and Chocolate Chip Oat Bran Muffins
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup wheat bran
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups zucchini shredded *make sure to squeeze the extra moisture out with your Bigger Better Nut Milk Bag*
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter melted and slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips use 1/2 cup if you want more sweetness
- Combine the oats with the milk and set aside for 20 minutes so the oats can soak up some of the moisture.*Don’t go longer than 30 minutes with this step.
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line your muffin pan with paper liners or coat with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the wheat bran, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In another bowl, combine the zucchini, brown sugar, cooled melted butter, vanilla extract and eggs. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir a few times before adding the soaked oats and milk mixture. Gently combine, then add chocolate chips and gently mix it all together.
- Spoon batter into muffin wells filling them up to the top. Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F, then turn the oven down to 350°F* and bake another 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool about 5 minutes in the pan and then transfer to a wire rack to cool further. Muffins will stay fresh covered at room temperature for a couple of days, then transfer to the refrigerator for up to one week. They also freeze well.
Recipe and Image contributed by @twosugarbugs