Strawberry Rhubarb Dream Bar
We went against the popular vote and made a custard based dessert. Full Disclosure: We ate it right out of the PAN, we have NO shame. It was SO GOOD 😍😍. No real strawberries used, creamy delicious custard with one of our favorite ingredients of all time: RHUBARB! ❤️
- 1 cup almond flour, finely ground
- 1/4 cup protein powder
- 3 oz coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Sweetener
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 cups fresh rhubarb, diced and tossed with strawberry emulsion
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cups granulated sweetener
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 tsp xanthan Gum
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup granulated sweetener
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Using parchment paper, line the bottom of an 8x8 or an 8x10 inch baking pan.
- Let the parchment paper overlap (extend over) the sides of the pan, so you will be able to lift out the entire dessert later.
- Place the flour, granulated sweetener, and butter into a food processor.
- Pulse until the butter has been reduced to small crumbs throughout. (If you want to do this by hand, use a pastry blender and cut in the butter until small crumbs).
- Pour the crumbs into the prepared baking sheet. Press the crumbs down firmly and evenly to form a crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- While crust is baking, prepare the filling by mixing the eggs, granulated sugar, flour, and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Once creamy, stir in rhubarb until blended. Once crust comes out of the oven, pour filling on top of hot crust. Distribute filling evenly.
- Place back into the oven and cook for another 40-45 minutes. When done, remove the pan from oven.
- Let cool completely (in the pan).
- Once cool, lift the entire dessert out of the baking pan using the parchment paper overhangs.
- Remove parchment paper from sides.
- Sift powdered sweetener over the top of the dessert. Slice into 16 bars; Serve and enjoy!
Add the cream topping:
- Once the bars have cooled completely, Mix together the cream topping and cover the baked rhubarb dream bars with the topping. Refrigerate until ready to serve, if you can wait that long!! ❤️
Recipe and Image contributed by @itsaketovibe