Keto Rocky Road Brownies
Ingredients & directions:
- 3 T softened or melted butter
- ½ cup sweetener (we find 1/4 cup Now Foods Official Xylitol 1/2 golden Lakanto and works best here)
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup homemade walnut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill almond flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/4 cup semisweet Choc Zero chips
- Cream together butter and sweetener – blend in egg, nut milk and vanilla
- In separate bowl, whisk almond flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder – then add to the butter mixture and stir with a spatula just until mixed.
- Pour into a greased 8x8 pan and bake @ 350 for 25 mins.
- Toast ¼ cup of chopped almonds for 5-10 mins on foil while the brownies are baking.
- Remove from oven.
*Keto Marshmallows- this may give you some extra marshmallows, can cut recipe in half if you want to*
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons gelatin *preferably grass-fed*
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3-2 cups xylitol or allulose (1 cup for xylitol & 1 1/3 cup for allulose)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Line a 9x9-inch pan with foil and grease well with coconut oil. Set aside. If using a stand mixer, fit it with the whisk attachment; otherwise have your hand mixer handy and ready to go.
Pour the cold water (1/2 cup) into your stand mixer's bowl or a large glass bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin in, mix thoroughly with a fork, and allow to bloom for 10 minutes while you melt the sweetener.
Pour the remaining water (2/3 cup) into a saucepan, and pour in the xylitol or allulose into the center without stirring (they don't form crystals, but just in case). Bring to a boil over medium heat, allowing the sweetener to completely dissolve by giving the saucepan some light shakes, keeping the mixture at a rolling boil for about 2 minutes. If you've got a thermometer, temperature reaches about 210ºF/100ºC. But don't worry if you don't have one; just be sure to let it boil for about 2 minutes to ensure maximum temperature is reached (sugar alcohols don't have the candy-making properties of sugar, so they don't heat up past a certain point).
You'll have to work quickly at this point to ensure no heat is lost. Turn on your mixer on low to break up the gelatin, and quickly pour in your hot syrup (trying to avoid the sides of your bowl so it doesn't cool down). Increase your speed to high, and whisk non-stop for about 7-14 minutes. Sprinkle in the salt at about minute 8 and the vanilla extract at minute 12 (if you're adding stevia drops, do so at this point). When ready, the mixture will be stiff and hold it's shape well, and if you're using a glass bowl it will feel only lightly warm to touch. The batter with xylitol won't be as fluffy as one with allulose, but it will still be light and stiff.
Turn mixer off, and quickly pour the marshmallow batter onto your prepared dish. Don't worry too much about what's left behind in the whisk etc, or your marshmallows will likely set in the bowl itself! Keep in mind that xylitol sets much quicker than allulose, so extra speed is required.
Allow your marshmallows to dry, uncovered and at room temperature, for 6 hours or preferably overnight. Gently remove from pan and cut with a greased knife. In my experience keto marshmallows don't need dusting as they're not overly sticky, and a touch of coconut oil does wonders if need be. We did do a light dust of powdered sweetener as they were sticking to the counter while shooting (think summer heat)- so just store the in a cool, dry place for a couple weeks and in the freezer after.
7. Pour marshmellows over the brownies then add toasted almonds and ¼ cup of Choc Zero chocolate chips. Press slightly into the marshmallows.
8. Put some Choc Zero chocolate sauce into a baggie and snip the corner – drizzle the chocolate sauce all over.
Keto rocky road brownies recipe and Image contributed by @itsaketovibe
Marshmallow recipe contributed by @gnomgnom.yum