Homemade Coconut Milk
- 2 cups of unsweetened shredded coconut
- 4 cups of water
- Heat the 4 cups of water over medium heat, turn off the burner before the water comes to a boil.
- Add the shredded coconut and heated water to a blender. If all the liquid does not fit in the blender, cut the recipe in half and do 2 batches.
- Blend for about a minute.
- Allow the coconut milk to cool before handling with a nut milk bag.
- Place your Bigger Better Nut Milk Bag over a large bowl or pitcher. Make sure it is stable while you slowly pour the contents. Once all the liquid is transferred from the blender to the pitcher use your hands to squeeze the mesh to drain excess fluid from the shredded coconut.
- Store in mason jar or bottle with a tight lid for 4-5 days. Separation may occur just shake before using.
One benefit to making homemade coconut milk is you can make different flavors by infusing it. Some variations may be vanilla, chocolate, or lavender. Follow the directions below and add the following steps if making an infused version.
- To make vanilla flavored coconut milk add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- For chocolate you can add 2 tablespoons of cacao or coco powder to the blender before straining.
- Using lavender gives it a unique taste. This goes great with teas that contain chamomile, lemon, or rooibos in them. Add 4 tablespoons of fresh lavender buds when heating the water.
Recipe and photo contributed by @tiffimages