Grapefruit Ginger Shrub
A shrub is a blend of fruit, vinegar and sweetener. It’s a zingy addition or mixer to sparking water or even cocktails! It is very tasty and even has nutritional benefits, that's why we love it.
- 2 Large Grapefruits (any variety though the sweeter the better)
- 1 cup Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener
- 1 4 inch(10cm) piece fresh ginger, organic if possible, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups Raw Unfiltered Unpasterized Apple Cider Vinegar
- Chilled Sparkling Water such as Pelligrino or Sprindrift Sparkling Water (Grapefruit flavor)
- Grate the zest from the grapefruits with a microplane grater/zester. It should equal about 2 1/2 tbsp. Place in a large glass bowl. Remove the rest of the Grapefruit peel and discard. Chop the flesh into 1-inch pieces (should equal about 2 cups)
- Add Monkfruit Sweetener to the zest and rub with your fingerprints to release the natural oils. Stir in the chopped grapefruit and the sliced ginger. Cover bowl with airtight lid and place on the counter to sit at room temperature overnight.
- Stir vinegar into the grapefruit mixture. Cover again and refrigerator for 2 days. Mix well with your hands. Strain mixture through a Bigger Better Nut Milk Bag. Strain over a large wide glass jar or bowl. Once you have strained out all the juice, place the shrub in a tall glass jar. Make sure it has a tight lid on it.
- For each serving pour 3 tablespoons (45ml) of the shrub in the bottom of a tall glass. Add ice, then add sparkling water of your choice and fill up to the top of your glass. Slice another Grapefruit thinly to garnish each serving.
*This Shrub will store well in the refrigerator for up to a month or so*
Recipe and photo contributed by @therocksanddirtbakery