Easy Homemade Vegetable Broth
For this easy homemade vegan vegetable broth recipe I took a gallon sized ziplock bag and slowly filled it with my veggie scraps over the course of a few weeks (storing it in the freezer). Anytime I was preparing a meal I would take the bag out of the freezer and add my veggie scraps to it until it was bursting at the seams. Avoid using spoiled produce and vegetable scraps from the cruciferous family such as bok choy, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and collard greens because they can make the broth sour.
- 16 cups water
- 14 – 16 cups vegetable scraps, frozen (An entire gallon sized zip lock bag stuffed with frozen veggie scraps.)
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Add all ingredients into a large stock pot and bring to a boil.
- Turn down to simmer and let cook for 1 – 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn off stove and let cool for 1+ hours, until it is cool enough to work with.
- Strain through a nut milk bag or cheesecloth into a large bowl.
- Pour vegetable stock into mason jars and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze in freezer safe containers and use when needed. If freezing this vegan veggie broth in mason jars I recommend leaving extra room in the jar(s) and putting the lid(s) on once contents are frozen.