Earl Grey Scones
- 1 1/2c white wheat flour
- 3/4c spelt flour (or sub more all-purpose flour)
- 1.5tbsp earl grey tea leaves
- 1/2c frozen coconut oil, grated (can sub cold vegan butter)
- 1c homemade oat milk
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1tbsp baking powder
- 1/4tsp salt
- 1/4c coconut sugar
- 1-2tbsp turbinado sugar (for sprinkling on top, can sub brown sugar or omit if desired)
- 1/2c powdered sugar
- 1tbsp homemade almond milk
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Grate frozen coconut oil into bowl of dry ingredients, cutting it in with a fork until blended into coarse crumbs.
- Add in the oat milk and vanilla extract until just incorporated and a dough forms. With floured hands, shape dough into a large circle 8 inch diameter on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 8 pieces and separate on baking sheet. Brush tops with a little milk and sprinkle on tubinado sugar.
- Bake for about 15-20 mins at 400F until golden brown.
- While the scones are baking, prepare the glaze! Whisk together the powdered sugar, almond milk & vanilla extract until no clumps remain.
- Let scones cool 10 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Drizzle on glaze once completely cooled and enjoy!
Photo and recipe contributed by @wakeupandkale