Classic Shepherds Pie
- 4 large carrots
- 2 cups lentils
- 1 tbsp garlic infused oil
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- thyme, paprika, salt & pepper
- 2 heads cauliflower
- 4 tbsp butter (can sub vegan butter)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- ¼ cup homemade unsweetened almond milk, as needed
- Heat garlic-infused oil in a frying pan on medium.
- Add the carrots and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir often.
- Then add the tomatoes, vegetable stock, lentils (precooked), pumpkin seeds, thyme, and paprika.
- Also add salt and pepper, to taste. Lower the heat and let simmer for 15-20 minutes until thick.
- Pour into an oven-safe dish and top with mashed cauliflower. Bake for 10-20 minutes until golden brown. Cut cauliflower into florets and steam until very tender—15-20 minutes.
- Then set aside uncovered to cool slightly.
- Sauté the garlic in the butter in a small skillet over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off heat and set aside.
- Transfer the cauliflower into a food processor and process until puréed.
- Add almond milk as needed to help with purée.
- Add other ingredients and process until well combined.
- Might need to mix in halves depending on the size of the food processor.
- Once it is a whipped consistency, smear the mashed cauliflower on top of the filling and bake as instructed above.
Recipe and Image contributed by @livwelleatwell