Caramelized Cashew Chocolate Ice Cream
- 3 cups homemade sweetened cashew milk
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 oz chopped milk chocolate
- ¾ cup of sugar
- pinch of salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the caramelized cashews:
- ¼ cup roasted unsalted cashews
- 2 tsp sugar
- Warm 1 cup of the cashew milk with the cocoa powder in a medium saucepan. Whisk thoroughly to blend the cocoa powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and allow to simmer for 30 seconds. Stir in the chopped milk chocolate. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into another bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a small bowl. In the same saucepan, add the remaining cashew milk, sugar, and salt. Stir until the sugar melts over medium heat allowing the mixture to simmer. Add the egg yolks slowly and stir constantly until the mixture is well blended. Allow the mixture to simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Pour the custard through a fine-mesh strainer into the chocolate mixture. Stir the custard into the chocolate and place the bowl over a water bath. Stir until the mixture cools then place in the refrigerator to completely cool for 4-5 hours.
- Once the ice cream is completely cool, place in the frozen container of an ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's directions. (Mine takes about 15-20 minutes.) Remove from the ice cream maker and place in a freezer-proof container to completely harden.
To make the caramelized cashews:
- Add the cashews and sugar to a small pan over low heat stirring constantly. Be very careful not to overcook. Once the sugar melts the cashews with caramelize very fast.
Recipe and Image contributed by @sabrinanewell